- Entrants must comply with all entry instructions and conditions, please read the information below carefully and click the 'proceed to entry form' button at the base of this page and continue to the application form
- Once completed, the details of your entry form will be sent to you via email, including information on how to pay your entry fee. Payment is required - if you do not pay your entry fee, your entry will not be eligible.
- If you prefer, you can also choose to submit your application in person or by mail, download an application here.
Terms & Conditions:
1. The KILGOUR PRIZE is open to all Australians (citizens of Australia or residents for at least twelve months).
2. Employees of Newcastle City Council, Newcastle Art Gallery, the judges and members of their immediate families are ineligible to enter.
3. The work must be a figurative or portrait painting, that is, representing the human form by means of a figure or likeness. The work must be executed in painting media including oil, acrylic, watercolour and/or mixed media.
4. The work should not exceed 250 cm in any given dimension. A work can consist of multiple parts but must not exceed overall size limits.
5. The entrant warrants that the work is original and does not infringe the copyright, moral rights or other rights of any third party.
6. In any year, the entrant may enter one work only, completed during the 12 months preceding 28 April 2017.
7. Finalists will be selected anonymously. Your name and all other details will be denied to the judges at this stage, and the work will be considered based solely on the image file provided, therefore a high quality image is recommended.
8. The judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
9. The judges reserve the right not to select any work.
10. Entries must contain all required information and attachments to be eligible for consideration, without exception.
11. Electronic entries and payment must be submitted by 5pm (AEST), Friday 28 April 2017. (Entries received by hard copy application must be accompanied by a CD or USB containing all relevant attachments and must be received AT the Gallery before 5pm - not posted or date stamped by this date). Online applications are processed with a time and date stamp defined at the point of submission - this time and date must be before the deadline described to be eligible for entry. At 5pm on this date, the online application form is withdrawn from our website.
12. Entry fee is $50 (inc.GST) per entry and is non-refundable. Entries without payment will be ineligible. Receipts will not be mailed unless requested. Online entries will be provided with a unique reference number which must be used at time of payment. Payment must be made by 5pm, Friday 28 April 2017. We understand that electronic payments can take 2-3 working days to be processed and should you be applying on the last eligible day, that your payment may be received after the deadline described above. The Gallery reserves the right to request proof of payment which demonstrates the time and date before accepting your entry, should your payment be received after Thursday 4 May 2017.
13. All personal information gathered will be used solely for the purpose of conducting, exhibiting and promoting the KILGOUR PRIZE. Your entry documentation will be retained.
If you are selected as a Finalist
14. Finalists will be notified by Friday 9 June 2017. Finalists will be required to complete a confirmation form indicating intention to participate and have it received AT the Gallery by no later than 5pm, Friday 23 June 2017.
15. The Gallery will contact all finalists with information about delivering the work to the Gallery. Arrangement and cost of all freight, insurance and other charges will be the responsibility of the entrant. The Gallery will determine which works are displayed and where they are displayed at its absolute discretion.
16. The Gallery reserves exclusive rights to formally announce the finalists. Finalists must keep information about preselection confidential until the Gallery's formal announcement on Friday 30 June 2017.
17. Finalists agree to provide any additional information reasonably requested by the Gallery to assist with preparation of prize-related material and promotion.
18. Finalists grant the Gallery a non-exclusive licence without fee, to reproduce the work; to photograph, publish and/or distribute it to the public for the following prize-related purposes, and anything incidental to such purposes:
i. marketing, publicity, educational and publication uses for the Gallery, the prize and its exhibition in all media, including but not limited to electronic/digital, broadcasting and print media, in perpetuity;
ii. in any print or electronic exhibition catalogue for the purpose of the exhibition
19. Finalists grant the Gallery permission to have their work displayed in the KILGOUR PRIZE 2017 exhibition at Newcastle Art Gallery. The judges will award a prize to the value of $50,000 upon reviewing the finalist's works once on display at the Gallery.
20. All works selected must be sent with d-ring hanging fixtures and clearly marked on the back with your name, address and the title of your work.
21. The Gallery will not be responsible for the sale of works. Any inquiries regarding purchase of the work will be directed to the finalist and/or nominated dealer.
22. At the close of the exhibition, if the finalist shall fail or omit to remove a work from the Gallery within one month of the exhibition's end, the Gallery shall send a notice by post to the finalist (at the last known address) of its intention to sell or otherwise dispose of the work. In the event of no address being known to the Gallery, one month after advertising such notice of intention in a newspaper, the Gallery may sell or dispose of the work.
23. All care will be taken, however the Gallery will not be responsible for any loss or damage - insurance is the responsibility of the finalist.
24. All care will be taken, however, the Gallery will not be responsible for any loss or damage suffered to any work in its possession or under its control. Each finalist shall indemnify the Gallery from any and all demands, liabilities, losses, costs and claims arising from or connected to their participation in the prize. This includes infringing on the proprietary rights of a third party and copyright infringement.
If you are selected as the Winner
25. The winner agrees to be available for the purposes of promotion and publicity at times and dates and in places reasonably requested by the Gallery.
Once you have read the Terms & Conditions, please click the button below to proceed to the entry form.