What is the Youth Reference Group?
Presented for the first time in 2018, the Youth Reference Group is comprised of 6 young people, aged 18-30, committed to developing a career in the Visual Arts. They are tertiary students, practicing artists, writers, and performers - engaged and participating in Newcastle's already vibrant cultural scene.
Each group commits to working with the Gallery and each other for at least a 12 month period. They assist the Gallery in providing a youth perspective, as well as coordinating several diverse projects throughout the year.
Expressions of interest for the 2019 Newcastle Art Gallery Youth Reference Group.
Applications for the Youth Reference Group are currently closed. If you are interested in being notified when the next round of applications is open (around September/ October 2018) please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Cultural Strategy 2016-2019 notes the action to support development of artists and practitioners through mentoring and professional development placements. In particular, to establish a Newcastle Art Gallery Youth Reference Group comprising of tertiary students and emerging artists focussing on both practice and audience development.
Newcastle Art Gallery is seeking:
- New views, ideas and a youth perspective
- Young and early career artists and/or curators to participate in project based opportunities
- Better awareness and understanding in young markets and audiences of what the Gallery has and offers.
Newcastle Art Gallery Youth Reference Group members will gain:
- Knowledge and understanding of gallery operations
- Meaningful professional development with work/project based learning
- CV/resume item
- Networks, meet artists
- Communication skills
- Planning and implementation experience
Applicants must be:
- Aged between 18-30 years
- Enrolled full time in Fine Arts or Creative Industries related tertiary study or have graduated in one of these areas within the last five years
- Committed to developing a career in the Visual Arts
- Prepared to make a 12 month commitment.
Please ensure you have read the associated Newcastle Art Gallery Youth Reference Group Charter.
Deadline for expressions of interest:
The 2017 deadline for EOIs has passed. If you are interested in being notified when the next round of applications is open (around September/ October 2018) please email us: email@example.com
Fair Work Australia Fact Sheet on unpaid work experience
Lauren van Katwyk
Audience Development & Visitor Services Coordinator
Newcastle Art Gallery
P: 02 4974 5115